Tuesday, September 25, 2012

MHRM 6110: Talent Management

Leadership Development

Who do think makes a leader? Is leadership development a function of human resources? That's what we're discussing this week in my Talent Management class!

I think developing a leader is actually a function of multiple departments. Human Resources can teach about conflict management and other basic leadership skills, but I think true leadership is learned daily at work in the trenches.

Take the hospital I work at for example. We have a great HR department! But what does HR staff know about proper IV insertion or how best to comfort a scared child in the Emergency Department? These are skills that charge nurses are teaching new RNs every day in our hospital. Each semester they get scores of new graduates coming to their floors to help the sick and they turn them into not just competent nurses, but future leaders who will one day pass the same skills onto other new grads.

That's one of the things I like about my current boss, too. She is always showing me how to do things or explaining why she does something in a certain manner. Because she knows I want to grow in this organization and she wants to help me be a better leader in my own field. That's how I feel you develop a good leader - by taking the skills imparted by human resources and combining practical experience so your new leader knows what to expect in his or her field.

No comments:

Post a Comment