Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Do the Hustle!

I love movies. The Academy Awards is like my Super Bowl.

Every February, I settle down in front of the TV with my tasty snacks, ready to drink in all the glitz and glamour of Hollywood – the dresses, the jewelry, the stars! But I get the most fun waiting to see if my predictions come true for best picture, best actor and actress and best director.

To be accurate this year, it’s time I start compiling evidence. So last night I grabbed up my Carmike Rewards card, threw the bestie in the car and headed out to see my future husband the very talented actor, Bradley Cooper in American Hustle! And what a treat it was!

Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle.

This is the third David O. Russell movie I have seen and immediately fallen in love with -- The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook, I love 'em!

The story is based on actual events. Based so loosely that the claim at the beginning reads, "Some of this actually happened." I got curious and did a little research on what actually happened. Pretty interesting stuff.

Cooper plays Richie DiMaso an ambitious FBI agent who traps two con artists -- Christian Bale's Irving Rosenfeld and Amy Adams' Sydney Prosser – into a plot to take down a slew of New Jersey politicians, including Jeremy Renner's Carmine Polito. Everything goes smoothly until the mob gets involved... Ain't that always the way?

Despite the serious nature of the predicament that Rosenfeld and Prosser find themselves in, the movie is very funny. Especially when it pokes fun at the utterly ridiculous hairstyles of its two leading men, Cooper and Bale.

Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale and their ridiculous hair.

Christian Bale always commits himself to every part – both emotionally and physically – and American Hustle is no different. Bale gained forty-some pounds to play Rosenfeld. As an overweight person myself, is it wrong to admit that I found him just gross in this film?

Christian Bale in Hustle.

Maybe it was the greasy comb over mixed with the pot belly... It reminded me too much of my and all my friends' dads. And no one can find their dad sexy... But, I mean, look at him!




While I'm distracted with discussion of the cast members' hair, can I stop now and give a shout out to Amy Adams glorious red locks? I have a great hair dresser, but if she were a miracle worker I would take Adams' photo to the salon and say, "Give me this!"

Both Amy Adams and her hair are simply beautiful in American Hustle!

But let's be honest, most people aren't looking at Adams' hair in this film, but rather her (understatement of the year) plunging necklines.

Amy Adams' necklines, how low can you go?

I shared a theory with my friend that I'm sure the cost of hairspray used on the leading men in this film was quite high. Perhaps they opted to make up the difference by saving on fabric costs for the front of Adams' dresses!

But I'm not hatin'. Hell, if I looked like Amy Adams, I would just walk around straight up naked all the time -- she is GORGEOUS! And she shines in this movie. Sydney Prosser is ambitious, quick-witted and very manipulative. Adams plays this all very well while subtly giving us a look at Sydney's vulnerable side too. See, she is desperately in love with Irving. Alas he is married.

To Jennifer Lawrence.

My dream BFF, Jennifer Lawrence as Rosyln Rosenfeld.

Lawrence's Roslyn Rosenfeld is equal parts infuriating, endearing and chaotic. Does she have a habit of setting things around the house on fire? Yes, yes she does. But she never means any harm.


I have been a fan of JLaw since Winter's Bone. I'm a huge Hunger Games fan and I've already mentioned my love for Silver Linings Playbook. I think Jennifer Lawrence is just fabulous and in Hustle  she gets to display a little more of her comedic timing and did a great job!

American Hustle is truly a must-see movie. It's got humor; it's got real emotion; it's got a great story.

Oscar nominations haven't gone out yet, but American Hustle has already garnered Golden Globe nods for Best Musical/Comedy, Best Director, Best Actor for Bale, Best Actress for Adams, Best Supporting Actor for Cooper and Best Supporting Actress for Lawrence.

Of course I'd like to see Cooper win (a wife has to support her husband after all), but Adams and Lawrence are very deserving as well. I really hope they both go home with a little golden statue on Sunday!

Oscar nominations are January 16. Will the stunning cast from American Hustle make the list? And what will be the next film in my quest to guess the Oscar winners? I don't know, but I can't wait to find out!

Until next time,
Ginny...not Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment