Monday, January 13, 2014

Golden Globe Trotting

Award season is here! Last night was the Golden Globes. My favorite precursor to the Oscars and it didn't disappoint. 

Back as hosts were Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. They were, in a word, sublime. I love these women. They should host every award show. Ever.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler should host...well, everything!

Highlights from their opening include: 

"Gravity. It's the story of how George Clooney would rather float off into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age."

"Matt Damon is here, for Behind the Candelabra. Matt, on any other night, in any other room, you would be a big deal. But tonight, and don't take this the wrong way, you're basically a garbage person."

"Matthew McConaughey did amazing work this year. For his role in Dallas Buyers Club, he lost 45 pounds. Or what actresses call being in a movie."

These ladies are the coolest. Especially Amy Poehler. I want to BE Amy Poehler! Last year, she canoodled with Clooney:


This year she snogged Bono!


If we are caught in a Poehler Vortex, I don't wanna get out!

The US is caught in a Poehler Vortex and I love it!

Trends from the red carpet included black and white dresses, sequins, shades of red and baby bumps. Trends on the stage for acceptance speeches seemed to include being unprepared. But future nominees should be forewarned. Having no speech ready can make you look adorable like Merritt Weaver at the Emmys or my BFF Jennifer Lawrence:

The world's BFF - and mine - Jennifer Lawrence was adorable in her off-the-cuff acceptance speech.

Or it can make you look like you've been dipping a little to often into your table's giant bottle of champagne. Case in point? 

WTF? Jacqueline Bissett's speech seemed booze-soaked and weird.

There was a lot I loved about this year's Golden Globes. Breaking Bad got the recognition it deserved for a fantastic final season and one of the best series finales in the history of television! As I said at the announcement (before Aaron Paul's exclamation, I might add), "Yeah, bitch! Yeah!"

Bryan Cranston (awarded Best Actor, Drama, with Vince Gilligan and Aaron Paul as they celebrate Breaking Bad's Best Drama win. I love these guys!

I was also pleased to see Jared Leto get the win for Dallas Buyer's Cub

Yay, Jordan Catalano! Jared Leto wins Best Supporting Actor, Drama.

Even though that meant my future husband the very talented actor, Bradley Cooper, could not win for American Hustle! I've got to see Dallas Buyer's Club before the Academy Awards. Ditto for The Wolf of Wall Street.

I was also thrilled to see Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams pick up statuettes for their work in American Hustle. I do believe I mentioned in my review of that film that I hoped they would be recognized. Yay me, for calling it!

Amy Adams looked gorgeous, as per usual, and was adorable as she warned producers that they could not shoo her off before she thanked her daughter. 


Adorbs. Love her.

I may have called that win. But there were a few that left me perplexed. Brooklyn Nine-Nine  for best comedy? Over The Big Bang Theory? And Modern Family? I think the show is cute and all... But best comedy? I don't see it.

The cast of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, voted Best Comedy.
I just don't get it. But I don't understand how my precious New Girl and The Mindy Project  could fail to be nominated either, so this whole category is a mystery to me....

Predicatable wins for me included Leonardo DiCaprio for The Wolf of Wall Street and Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyer's Club. I haven't seen either of those films, but the buzz on both of them is high and they are both extremely talented actors.

Though I'd still like to see a win for my Bradley Cooper. Let's just take a minute and appreciate how handsome my future husband he looked last night!

Bradley Cooper looking dapper at the 2014 Golden Globes.


Drink it in ladies; drink it in!

So what did you think of The Golden Globes? Any surprises for you? Who was snubbed that you would've like to see included. Hit me up in the comments!

Til next time,
Ginny...notJenny!

No comments:

Post a Comment