Friday, January 17, 2014

Once again excited about American Idol

I missed the first season of American Idol. I never saw Kelly Clarkson win. I missed season two and three, too. Never saw the battle between Clay Aiken and the Velvet Teddy Bear. Never saw Fantasia sing anything. 


But somewhere around season four, I fell in love with the show. I called in to vote; I downloaded songs. We even created brackets at work for who we thought would get voted out when. 

I remember screaming at my TV when Chris Daughtry was voted out, I was so distraught.

Here's a little flashback to the horror-filled results show when we said goodbye to Daughtry.
My face looked a lot like Katherine McPhee's.
But then Simon Cowell left and it all just kind of went to pot. Everyone was too...nice. I don't tune in to American Idol to watch Jennifer Lopez' highlighted cheekbones glimmer. I want to see talented artists give helpful critiques so that competitors can actually grow. Simon may have been a dick in a tight T-shirt, but at least he gave good, constructive criticism.



When they brought on Mariah Carey and Nicki Minaj there was no way I was tuning in. If I wanted to watch silly women sling jabs at each other I would watch some Real Housewives of Wherever!

Now we are in season 13 of American Idol and I am once again excited about the show. What has renewed my interest? Two words: Hatchet Harry.


I'll admit I am a little biased because I have loved Harry Connick, Jr., ever since I met him as a teenager. Ah, the memories! He had just returned from his honeymoon with his wife, Jill Goodacre, and he was so tan his blue eyes just popped right out of his face. And that voice! Whew!

Despite my love for Harry, the man, I can objectively say that he brings a new and much-needed vibe back to American Idol. He gives an honest critique. And, unlike Simon Cowell, Connick manages to do so nicely. See, Simon? It's not that hard!

He tells teenage girls that they would be better served finding a song more appropriate for their age, instead of leering at them creepily, like one Mr. Steven Tyler did. He's not afraid to tell someone they are not good.

Connick is there to separate the good from the great, even if that means telling people no and having Jennifer Lopez nickname him Hatchet Harry. But, "sometimes you gotta stop the bleedin," said Hatchet Harry.

Connick is self deprecating and funny and is starting a sweet little bromance with Keith Urban that could rival the Adam Levine/Blake Shelton love going on over at The Voice.

Check out the clip below for 1) a great audition, and 2) a peek at the humor Connick brings to the show.


I think Idol producers should be kissing his feet for breathing new life into a dying horse and I, for one, will be tuning back in this season!

What did you think? Did you watch Hatchet Harry do his thing on American Idol? Will you be tuning in this season to see who is your next American Idol???

No comments:

Post a Comment