Tuesday, October 23, 2012

MHRM 6110 - Group Work


We’ve been working in groups in my Talent Management class. Group work… Why do they call it group work? Invariably, there’s at least one (or in the case of this semester) two people who contribute absolutely nothing to the assignment. I do want to give a big thank you to my partner, Anica, for being so great about helping split the load with me. We two have been doing the work of four this semester – thanks, Anica!

So, while in my last class I blogged a little about Tuckman's model of team development and how it applies to group work.

The theory behind Tuckman’s model is that groups go through stages when they work together – Forming (coming together), Storming (disagreements begin to arise as power struggles begin), Norming (acceptable behavior is determined), Performing (finally working together to accomplish task) and Adjourning (completion of task and disengagement from the group). (Tuckman & Jensen, 1977, p. 419-420).

This week my assignment is to think about Tuckman’s model and how it applies to my group in the class. Did my group experience all five of the stages? Trust me, if the two guys had checked in there would have been some storming! LOL

But I don’t think Anica and I experienced that at all. I think we worked really well together. We had similar styles. So we really just got together (Forming), split up the workload, which I think we both agreed on and had a similar idea how to approach that (Norming) and then we went to work (Performing). I checked our group discussion board today and we both expressed how we enjoyed working together, so even though the final project still needs to be put together, we’ve pretty much already reached the Adjourning stage.

Of course I wish we had all group members participating. But if I could get stuck in another group with only one other person carrying their weight, I hope it would be with her again!


References

Tuckman, B. W., & Jensen, M. A. C. (1977). Stages of small-group development revisited. Group and Organization Studies (pre-1986), 2(4), 419-427.

No comments:

Post a Comment