Thursday, October 11, 2012

She's Crafty


My mom and my sister have always been very artistic. And crafty! It used to drive me crazy how they were always making something beautiful out of nothing and I couldn't keep up. My talents lie more in the written word. Oh, and pulling obscure pop culture trivia bits out of thin air. Seriously. You don't want to play Scene It or Celebrity with me!

Recently, however, I've made good friends with a real creative lady – a photographer, very artsy. And before I knew what was happening, I was crafting! I've been spending crazy amounts of time on Pinterest and I even bought my very first glue gun! Imagine it! Me with a glue gun? I'll try not to burn down the neighborhood.

One of my first efforts was simple. An idea I took from Pinterest and spray painted an old spice rack and started storing my nail polish on it. Since my recent obsession with Ulta nail polish took root, the collection stored on said rack has grown considerably. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to make another, bigger one soon.

Next I saw a bit of art made from wine corks and thought, "I could so that!" I learned a lot about crafting from this project, namely: Don't use a sharp knife to cut wine corks while Sons of Anarchy is on. You could get distracted by sexy Mr. Jax Teller and almost lost a thumb. Here's the finished project:
Wine cork art.
Don't worry. My thumb is still attached. This one came out so well, my mom even asked me to make her one! Quite the compliment from such an artistic woman! Speaking of which, does anyone have any extra wine corks? I don't drink that often and momma needs some wine cork art!

Other projects have included a container for my makeup brushes and a shadow box to save ticket stubs in. But it is my most recent effort that I am most proud of – my beautful magnetic makeup board! I'd seen variations of the idea all over Pinterest, and I loved it. The shopping list for the project was small:

Magnetic Makeup Board

1. One sheet of 22-guage sheet metal (available at any hardware store for around $5).
2. An attractive piece of fabric or scrapbook paper
3. One picture frame, glass removed
4. Glue gun! (who hoo, I broke it out!)
5. Magnets, available at any craft store

A beautiful tutorial is available at one of my favorite blogs, kaneej.com, but it's really simple.

1. Cut the metal (carefully, people!) to fit the frame. 2. Cover it with the fabric. 3. Glue fabric in place. 4. Attach magnets to your favorite pieces of makeup. 5. Place makeup on board (duh)! And voila!


I don't know about you, but I kinda dig it! What do you think?

Anyway, crafter's of the world, beware. I've got a glue gun and a loyalty card to AC Moore. This is far from the last craft project I will make! Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment