Sunday, August 5, 2012

MHRM 6100 + Week 6

School blog time! We are once again discussing which stage of Tuckman's model of team development our class is currently in.

This is a tough one for me, as I think our class is currently in some hybrid stage between Storming and Norming. Storming is the stage where team members start to disagree in order to get their ideas across.  In the norming stage, team members may disagree but they are able to get past these disagreements and work together (Chaneski, 2009, 34).

I get frustrated sometimes when I read the class discussion board because it is full if everyone agreeing with everyone else. Can everyone really truly agree with everything everyone else says, or are they just afraid to disagree? I have tried to play devil's advocate on a few posts and it has been taken well by the poster, thus proving we are moving toward the norming stage, but I still feel like some class members are hesitant to even enter the storming stage.

Maybe it's just my personality, but I just think life is more interesting when people can share different perspectives. It's boring when everyone agrees. I'd like to see more debate among the class, personally. I don't feel like we can reach the norming stage until everyone is truly through the storming stage and more comfortable sharing their true feelings.



References

Chaneski, Wayne S. (2009, August). The stages teams go through. Modern Machine Shop82(3), 34-36.

No comments:

Post a Comment