Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I Think, Therefore I'm Single

So… here’s a little update on the whole resolutions thing. I’m doing great at the gym!

I’ve been trying to go three times a week. Last week, even though there were two days I really didn’t want to go, I dragged myself in and left feeling pretty good afterwards – I just have to remind myself of that feeling the next time I really don’t feel like going….

The dating thing? Yeah… That’s a little harder! 

Online dating, what you think it will be:



What it actually is:


What is up with men on dating websites? So, I don’t want to sound like a snob, but… If I put in my profile that I have a master’s degree and I’m working on a second one, and you can’t even string together a complete sentence…maybe you can go ahead and assume that I’m not going to be very interested… Just sayin’.

And I try to hold a conversation, but it’s only been a couple of weeks and I’m already sick of doing all the work! Example chat room conversation:

Random guy: Hey.
Me: Hi there! How are you?
RG: What’s up?
(I’m already wondering what kind of response he’s looking for here… What exactly does he think is up? Obviously not much as I’m clearly sitting at home chatting on my computer…)

I decide to try and spice things up, so I go peruse his profile and notice a picture of him and a couple buddies at a comic book convention. I put in my profile that I like comics though I see no mention of it in his. I’ll use this as a window.

Me: Saw your comic con pic. You’re a Spiderman fan?
RG: Yeah.

Yeah.... Yeah?!? What exactly am I supposed to say next? I type some variation of that's cool and then the conversation completely fizzles. And this is just an example of many conversations I've had! It has me asking, has the creation of Facebook and texting, etc. made it so we no longer know how to hold on a conversation? Where are the questions bro? Or are you expecting me just to swoon at your “Hey” and throw my cell number at you so we can meet up for meaningless sex? What about my profile gave you the impression I was that type of girl?

I'm not expecting to meet a rocket scientist in OKcupid or Plenty of Fish, but I do wonder, where does a girl go to meet a decent, semi-intelligent SINGLE man these days? I'm really starting to think, that I think, therefore I'm single!




post signature

1 comment:

  1. Men have the same problem on those sites, too. Not every woman knows how to hold a conversation. There are few things more frustrating than asking an open-ended question and getting a one-word response, or sometimes none at all.

    ReplyDelete