Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Five Things I Learned From This Is The End

What can I say about apocalyptic film This Is The End? Well, it's funny as hell! And don't pardon that pun!

If you haven't seen it yet, go. Now. You'll thank me later.


The film stars, well, everybody! There are cameos from seemingly all of Hollywood's funniest men and ladies, including: Jason Segal, Mindy Kaling, Aziz Ansari, Michael Cera, Christopher Mintz-Plasse (aka McLovin'), Paul Rudd, and even Emma Watson and Rihanna! Ok, not all are comedians, but all are funny.

The film's stars are James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jonah Hill, Jay Baruchel, Craig Robinson and Danny McBride. The plot? Baruchel – an old buddy of Seth Rogen's from their days on (one of my favorites) Undeclared – is in LA for the weekend, so he's staying with Rogen, who has an epic weekend planned including video games, a shit ton of weed and a party at his buddy James Franco's house. The only problem is, Baruchel doesn't like any of Rogen's new friends, including Franco, Robinson, McBride and especially not Jonah Hill! 

Here's a little trailer for those looking for a little more info. Warning: It is a red band trailer and therefore sooooo NSFW!



Not only did the movie keep me in stitiches – it's FUNNY, y'all – but it taught me a lot too. Without further ado, here are 5 of Life's Lessons I Learned From Watching This Is The End.

1. There is not one redeeming person in Hollywood. That's right. When the rapture comes and all of the world's saved individuals are sucked up into the Lord's warm and welcoming blue light, no one from Hollywood is saved. Not even Hermione!
 


2. Seth Rogen can only play one character, himself. And I am totally ok with that! And in this movie he is literally playing himself! I love this man's sense of humor, his delivery. He amuses me. And much like James Franco is enamored with him in the film (perhaps a little too much so), I too, would love calling Seth Rogen my friend. 

3. When the world ends, make sure you have plenty of weed! As evidenced here in the clip, all one really needs to get buy in post-apocalypse Hollywood, is a little bit of water, a lot of weed, and hopefully more than one Milky Way bar!



4. James Franco realizes that he is a douchebag. The world ends during a kick-ass Franco house party, so we spend much of our time in his house. His house replete with pretentious pieces of art (like giant penises) and stolen movie props (like the gun from Flyboys). It is obvious Franco knows what we think of him and he is in on the joke.

5. There are still original ideas in Hollywood. OK, so yeah, the idea of actors playing exaggerated versions of themselves has been done before. Entourage did it very well. But this is done with a new flair. It's the Apocalypse, baby! 



I love the way this film is not afraid to make fun of the very industry of which it is a part. There are constant reminders of the actors' less-than-stellar film choices and Rogen's (in Baruchel's opinion) descent into Hollywood douchebagginess. Baruchel's continued hatred for Jonah Hill despite Hill's pleasant demeanor is so amusing and don't even get me started on the hilarious cameo by awkward funny boy, Michael Cera!

Oh yeah, then there's this scene:



My friend, Steve, said he enjoyed the idea that someone possessed can be sarcastic. I agree. Yet another part of the film that caused tears to form. But in the best way possible! 

This is the End is full of hi-jinx, hysteria and hilarity. I haven't chuckled so hard in th
e theater is a good long time. Well, at least not when the director wanted me to! I'll be buying this one on Blu-Ray aaaannnnd, probably seeing it again in the theater! Will I be seeing you there too?





No comments:

Post a Comment