Friday, June 14, 2013

My thoughts on Man of Steel

Those who know me, know that Superman is my animated dream boyfriend (just as Adam Levine is my musical dream boyfriend and Bradley Cooper my actual, real life dream boyfriend)! And I loved 300 (also directed by Zack Snyder) so I walked into Man of Steel with great expectations!

Don those Superman edition 3D glasses ladies; it's time for Man of Steel!

They weren't completely dashed, the move was entertaining but it seems when choosing between spectacle and substance, Snyder chose the former over the latter.

The good:

Henry Cavill. Isn't he Super manly?
The cast. Henry Cavill, as I've been saying all day, is a whole lotta pretty. I mean Pre-tee! I'm currently trying to stop myself from dropping everything and diving into a marathon of The Tudors just so I can have more of him. He behaves very "Supermanly" in the film.

I've always said that Superman is a hard role to cast because the actor must recreate both the regal, confident Kal El and the goofy, stumbly, mumbly Clark Kent. Cavill does a great job of conveying the quiet power of Superman. He is physically imposing, but has a gentle feel about him. How does he do at portraying Clark Kent? Well, we don't really know. Snyder doesn't show us and that is one of the things I don't really like about the movie. If Superman is truly about TWO characters – Clark Kent and Kal El, then they only tried to tell half the story, as we don't even glimpse the iconic bespectacled Clark until the last few minutes of the film! That's like telling an Incredible Hulk story without Bruce Banner! WTF???

Enough about that; back to the cast! Amy Adams is just gorgeous and I think she really captured Lois Lane. Waaay better choice than I think Kate Bosworth was in Superman Returns. She's tough as nails and more determined than a pit bull on a pant leg. I loved her as Lois.

And Michael Shannon as Zod. What can I say other than he scared the shit out of me? He always has! Especially after watching this: Michael Shannon Reads the Insane Delta Gamma Sorority Letter.

Michael Shannon is cray cray.

In true Snyder fashion, the movie is very visually stunning. And the fight scenes are awesome. I just feel like they went on for a lengthy amount of time.

The bad (Spoilers Ahead):

Pa Kent. Kevin Costner? Really? Why the hell did Snyder change how he died? Jonathan Kent is supposed to die of a heart attack! It is a constant reminder to Clark how fragile the human life is. To have him taken out by a tornado??? Lame!

The movie seems to focus a lot on the cruelty that human beings can display for one another. While I think that can be true, I don't like that Superman agrees with this. It has always been my view that the joy of Superman is his undying love for the human race, his admiration for their capacity for good.

Stupid plot devices. Holes so big, you could drive a Mack truck through them. For example – and let me know if I missed something – Clark finds an ancient space ship in the arctic. It had been there for millions of years and inside he finds the secrets of Krypton, his past and his biological parents. How the hell did Clark know it was there??? I mean really?

Also, I am all for feminine empowerment in comic books. But did it not feel a little convenient how Lois discovered how to take out Zod and his minions? And even if she did come up with the idea, did it not seem totally contrived that the military would let her on board the plane set to destroy the Kryptonians? Totes ridick! 

My friend, Rachael, turns to me in the quiet and whispers, "What the hell is she doing up there?" Good question, Rach. Good question.

I could go on and on about the little things I felt they got wrong, but I don't want to be so completely negative. The movie was just fun. A good way to spend an afternoon, but not my favorite. They left it wide open for a sequel for which I will promptly report to the theater, because, hello! Superman!

But if you'll excuse me, at the moment I seem to be late for a rewatch of The Tudors. Cuz... damn!








post signature

1 comment: