Wednesday, July 17, 2013

My thoughts on Pacific Rim

There are three things you need to know before watching Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim.

1. Kaiju = Monster
2. Jaeger = Hunter
3. Charlie Hunnam = SEXY

Here's the trailer:


The premise of the film is simple. Sometime in the near future Earth is under attack by aliens called Kaiju. The aliens don't approach from the sky, however, but from deep beneath the sea. To combat the aliens, man creates giant robots, or Jaegars, to do battle with the Kaiju monsters. Enter Charlie Hunnam as Jaegar pilot extraordinnaire, Raleigh Beckett. 

And yeah, he's sexy as hell. I offer the following as evidence:



C'mon, you know I had to include at least one shirtless pic – Charlie Hunnam in Pacific Rim

I really enjoyed the film. It had good action sequences, a strong female presence and an interesting twist on the same tired alien story. I need to see the movie again because I am not sure whether they said the Kaiju destroyed the dinosaurs or are descended from dinosaurs. I left the theater thinking the dinosaurs were Kaiju left from an earlier invasion that could not last in our atmosphere. Either way it's definitely a different take on the classic alien invasion movie. 

I did find myself asking though, "If Guillermo del Toro is the Monster Man, why are all the battles with the Kaiju at night? Why can't we see more of the monster?"

Here's a pretty decent pic of one of the monsters.

Pacific Rim Monsters are called Kaiju and may be descended from dinosaurs.
One of interesting thing about the story. It requires two people to operate the Jaegers, preferably two who have compatible memories as they must enter each other's minds to operate the robot. Enter Raleigh's partner Mako Mori, played by the adorable Rinko Kikuchi.

I read a review before going to see the film. I try not to do this, but I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the dough to see it in the theater rather than waiting for Redbox. It said something like, "del Toro embraces blockbuster cliches while pounding them into the pavement." Whoever said it, it's a very true statement. 

Yeah, part of the film feels a lot like Godzilla Vs. Transformers. But at the same time del Toro is taking those movies and saying, "Here guys, this is how you should've done it!" He's got the action, he's got the sci-fi spectacle and at the core of it all, he's got the heart.

And did I mention it also has one hot-ass Charlie Hunnam in it? Sounds like a recipe for success to me!

See you at the movies!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment