Friday, July 12, 2013

The Ten Day You Challenge: 3 Movies


I am a movie-aholic and there is no cure! I love movies! When I was in college my friend and I fancied ourselves future Tarantinos and started a film club called Brainwrap. True movie fans know what a brainwrap is! It's when the film gets stuck in the projector and stops advancing and then the heat of the lamp burns a hole in the strip. But I digress...

As a film buff, there is no way I can properly narrow my list of favorite films to three. But I am a thirty-something woman. I figure if I divide my life into thirds, I should be able to offer three movies that were important to my life. So here goes...

Day Eight: 3 Movies


1. The Great Muppet Caper. My sister-in-law and I were talking about this very movie last weekend! My entire family has always been Muppets fans, but this was the first Muppet film I remember watching. Oh, I loved it!

One of my favorite childhood movies, The Great Muppet Caper

Identical twin newspaper reporters Kermit and Fozzie (yes, you read that right) are off to London to investigate the theft of Lady Holiday's famous jewels! hijinx ensue in typical Muppets fashion and it is wonderful!

Classic lines:


"Thieves aren't breathing down your neck!" – Charles Grodin as Nicky Holiday, Lady Holiday's brother and * spoiler * also the thief (!) as he breathes down her neck.

Statler: "I guess all's well that ends well."
Waldorf: "Doesn't matter to me, as long as it ends."

2. Pulp Fiction. I saw this movie as a teenager and it was then I decided I wanted to make movies! Ok, so I'm not a famous director, but I did study movies in college when I found out that making movies is HARD and watching them is way more fun!
The most influential movie of my teen years, Pulp Fiction.

I don't recall ever seeing a movie told in such a non-linear fashion before. And I loved it! Revolving around three inter-related storyline, Pulp Fiction is brutal, ballsy an completely bad ass! I must've seen it in the theater at least 5 times!

Classic lines:


Brett: No, no, I just want you to know... I just want you to know how sorry we are that things got so fucked up with us and Mr. Wallace. We got into this thing with the best intentions and I never...
Jules: [Jules shoots the man on the couch] I'm sorry, did I break your concentration? I didn't mean to do that. Please, continue, you were saying something about best intentions. What's the matter? Oh, you were finished! Well, allow me to retort. What does Marsellus Wallace look like?
Brett: What?
Jules: What country are you from?
Brett: What? What? Wh - ?
Jules: "What" ain't no country I've ever heard of. They speak English in What?
Brett:  What?
Jules: English, motherfucker, do you speak it?
Brett: Yes! Yes!
Jules: Then you know what I'm sayin'!
Brett:  Yes!
Jules: Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!
Brett:  What?
Jules: Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!

Mia: Don't you hate that?
Vincent: What?
Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable?
Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.

3. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Do I get to list these as one movie? Yes. Yes I do, because they really tell one story. One beautiful, epic story my love for which began as a child (see yesterday's post on three books).

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Arguably the best movies of the new millennium.

A sweeping tale of a group's trek to save their world from evil, LOTR is a story of courage in the face of danger and how one person, no matter how small, can affect great change in the world, if they just have the courage to try.

Classic lines:


“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam

“I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.” – Arwen

"It comes in pints? I'm getting one!" – Pipin

“I’m glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee…here at the end of all things.” – Frodo

“I thought up an ending for my book. ‘And he lives happily ever after, till the end of his days.’” – Bilbo


Could I make a list like this without Honorable Mentions? Hell no! They go to: Forrest Gump, The Princess Bride, Star Wars, Slumdog Millionaire, Dirty Dancing, Grease, I could go on and on...








post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment