Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Ten Day You Challenge: 4 Books




Gah! I'm so behind on this thing! Clearly I cannot be trusted to blog or post about something every day, even if it is only for ten days. Sorry all! I'll try and finish this up somewhere with the two week mark LOL - Close enough!

Day Seven: 4 Books

I love to read so, again, picking just four books is going to be a toughie. But I'll do the best I can!

1. To Kill A Mockingbird. I don't always agree with what people say makes a great novel. Catcher in the Rye? I hated it! But this books deserves to be one of the greatest novels of the century. In fact I argue that is is the greatest.


The only book I was ever assigned in school and then read again later for enjoyment!

Quotes:


"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." -- Atticus

"Naw, Jem, I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." – Scout

"I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what." – Atticus

Indeed, I think it is one of the most beautifully written stories ever, but, sure, not everyone is a fan.



2. The Hobbit, Or There And Back Again. My brother, John, is 8 years older than me. I have beautiful memories of him reading this to me when I was a child. A lot of older brothers can't be bothered with their baby sisters. My brother was not that way and I love him so much for spending time with me.


Quotes:

"Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?" – Gandalf

“There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.” – Bilbo

"While there's life there's hope." – Bilbo


3. Bitter Is The New Black. Yes! I read non-fiction too! 


Jen Lancaster is my literary hero. It's like she reads my mind. She takes the most mundane occurrences and turns them into hilarity. She also makes me feel like all of my snarkiness and sarcasm is okay. I love you, Jen Lancaster. Never stop writing!

In her first memoir, Bitter Is The New Black, Jen tells the tale of her descent from a successful "dot commer" to the unemployed and then her rise to successful blogger and author. I adore her and have been lucky enough to meet her in real life. She is an inspiration to me!

Me with my literary hero, Jen Lancaster!

Quotes:

“I can't believe anyone would voluntarily run 26 miles. Sometimes I sit on the couch cross-legged because I don't feel like walking to the bathroom.” 

“You want to change? Lose the bitch. Be nicer to people. Stop telling them to "bite you" and threatening to kick them until they're dead.” 

“Despite my best efforts, I'm not quite perfect. Let's just say I'm like one of those Hopi blankets where they leave a tiny flaw so as to not affront the Lord.” 

“I've determined the ideal job for me is one where I can write clever essays about my life and my employer will give me enough money not only to live a comfortable existence, but also to buy many, many new pairs of shoes.” 

4. Palisades Park. I'm currently reading this title and though I'm not very far in, I am enjoying it. I do not yet have favorite quotes or memories associated with this novel, but I will revisit that when I'm finished. I just thought it would be good to include the book I'm currently reading.


I wish this would've been a post for the first or second day. I easily could've filled this with 9 or 10 books! I didn't even get to touch on my love for Young Adult fiction and the brilliance that is Rats Saw God and Speak! Or my foray into historical romance and my love for the Scotsman Jaime Fraser in Outlander! Perhaps I can blog about them another time.

Now, I'm off to figure out how this film geek is going to try and limit my post to morrow to just THREE FILMS! Impossible task!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment